www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Hans Werner Strube <str...@physik3.gwdg.de>
Subject mod_log-any/2767: Rotation of logs and suppression of logging is not well solved.
Date Mon, 03 Aug 1998 11:12:51 GMT

>Number:         2767
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       Rotation of logs and suppression of logging is not well solved.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
It is a pity that the rotation of log files is not handled by the server's log
module itself but has to be done by the additional rotatelogs program.
This program should also be enhanced (I have done this myself) by taking into
account the local timezone and DST and using a readable time as file extension
instead of the internal Unix time, for instance, file.YYMMDDhh (no resolution
below an hour will be required; thus I changed the rotation-period argument
into days[.hours]). But all this should be built into the log module itself.
Further it should be possible to specify host-address patterns whose access
should not be logged (e.g., the local domain or local search robots).
Even the old CERN httpd allows this. I also built this into rotatelogs in a
very crude way, but this is clumsy.
>How-To-Repeat:
N.A.
>Fix:
Own hacks to rotatelogs.c, but would prefer change of mod_log_config