www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ronald Joe Record ...@sco.COM>
Subject Re: os-sco/2533: Apache 1.3.0 won't build with Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support
Date Wed, 08 Jul 1998 20:51:59 GMT
Thanks for accepting the patches necessary to get Apache to
build with DSO support on SCO OpenServer. I'll try to explain
the need for additional patches.

First, a kernel bug in OpenServer 5.0.0 and 5.0.2 made it
necessary to build Apache with USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT.
That bug was fixed in 5.0.4 and a patch made available for
5.0.0/5.0.2 systems. Further, i have created an installation
script which detects what release you are installing on and
whether you need to apply the "Network Maintenance Supplement".
Therefore, i can now build Apache without the
USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT which gets me much better performance.
So, as long as you get Apache for OpenServer from _me_ (that is,
the SCO Skunkware CD-ROM or web site), you're ok. If you build
it yourself, you'd better know whether you need to apply the
appropriate support supplement.

Second, you were right, i was able to remove the find-dbm-lib
patch and successfully build Apache 1.3.0. Forget that patch.

Third, i still find the addition of "-lx -ltinfo -lm" to be
necessary on OpenServer. It's no doubt a bug or at least
incorrectly documented, but any time -lprot is used you also
need -lx and -ltinfo to get nap(), cur_term(), setup_term()
and others. I've informed our development system guys and
this may be fixed in a later release but for now these libs
are necessary. FYI, libx is the SCO Xenix enhancements which
have been carried forward since time immemorial while libtinfo
is the terminfo library. It looks like libprot is supposed to
setup its own curses stuff but isn't built correctly.

To summarize, i believe the patches i submitted for src/Configure
and src/include/conf.h are appropriate.

Let me know if you need further details,

Ron Record
rr@sco.com

re: