www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Go...@stack.nl
Subject Re: os-windows/2684: Server failes to start,witherror".\os\win32
Date Thu, 30 Jul 1998 22:30:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/2684; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: GoofY@stack.nl
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org <apbugs@apache.org>,
              Adrian Forte <aforte@crinos.com>,
              Steven 'GoofY' de Brouwer <goofy@stack.nl>
Subject: Re: os-windows/2684: Server failes to start,witherror".\os\win32
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:25:34 +0000

 Hi.

 I received this error (running from the DOS 7 command line
 (Win95 on a Pentium)):

 == con: ================================
 F:\ApacheGroup\Apache>F:\ApacheGroup\Apache\Apache.exe -d F:\APACHE~1\APACHE
 [Thu Jul 30 23:52:54 1998] file .\os\win32\util_win32.c, line 66, assertion
 "s>= szFile && "this is a known bug"" failed

 F:\ApacheGroup\Apache>_
 == /con: ===============================

 I've just installed the binary win32 files (1.3.1), did just a bit
 of editing in the conf/*.conf files (made a copy from the .tmp/
 *.conf-dist-win files), and made a sample index.html file in
 the right directory. But running the shortlink created by the
 install program gave me only a quickly-disappearing DOS-window.
 Luckily for me, I know how to write a simple batch file, where
 I could easily add a PAUSE statement ;) I then saw the above
 message.
 Looking at <http://bugs.apache.org> I saw you had solved
 the problem (PR number 2684). Jippy! Or is it?

 I searched all my files for this kind of solution, but to no avail.
 I then took the liberty to #comment all commands from the three
 conf/*.conf files until the error disappeared, thus pinpointing
 the cause to access.conf (after uncommenting the others back)!
 I have three entries there, two Directory directives and one
 Location directive:

 == access.conf =========================
 <Directory "@@ServerRoot@@/htdocs">
 Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
 AllowOverride None
 order allow,deny
 allow from all
 </Directory>

 <Directory "@@ServerRoot@@/cgi-bin">
 AllowOverride None
 Options None
 </Directory>

 <Location /cgi-bin/phf*>
 deny from all
 ErrorDocument 403 http://phf.apache.org/phf_abuse_log.cgi
 </Location>
 == /access.conf ========================

 All directories mentioned are available on my PC, except
 /cgi-bin itself. But the strange part is, that the
 location directive is not the problem! Both the Directory
 directives are! Either one alone, or both together...
 The true problem that could be there would then be in the
 @@ServerRoot@@, but checking httpd.conf told me:

 == httpd.conf ==========================
 #ServerRoot: The directory the server's config, error, and log files
 #are kept in
 #ServerRoot "@@ServerRoot@@"
 ServerRoot "F:/APACHE~1/APACHE"

 which was confirmed as the -d parameter on the commandline...
 (which gave the error even if I used the / instead of the \...)

 With both Directory entries disabled, my Apache WebServer is
 up and running smooth as a baby skin...

 I hope this helps clearing the problem...

 Kind regards,

 Steven 'GoofY' de Brouwer <GoofY@stack.nl>