www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ben Bullock <bull...@toolcity.net>
Subject Re: general/2733: .htaccess file ignored
Date Wed, 29 Jul 1998 19:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/2733; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Bullock <bullock@toolcity.net>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@Apache.Org
Subject: Re: general/2733: .htaccess file ignored
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:46:15 -0400

 Marc Slemko wrote:

 [snip..]

 > Erm... no.  You are completely missing what you are doing; the directory
 > you are trying to change the config for is /home/bullock/public_html, not
 > any of the above.  None of the above have any impact whatsoever, and
 > changing the other one only means that you don't have any section applying
 > to /home, which means that by default things are allowed.

 You're right!

 > No, that is not what it is supposed to be and it explicitly uses / to
 > avoid allowing, by default, users to do bad things outside the
 > documentroot.

 Right again.  My apologies for taking so much of your time on
 this problem.  My difficulty centered on completely failing to
 understand the nature of access.conf.  In particular, I confused
 '<Directory />' as a reference to the server's document root, a
 dumb mistake for which I am very embarrassed.

 Thanks again for your help and your patience.  Everything is
 working well now and is certainly much more secure than it was
 before.

 -Ben