www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Benjamin Bullock <bull...@toolcity.net>
Subject general/2733: .htaccess file ignored
Date Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:00:26 GMT

>Number:         2733
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       .htaccess file ignored
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have just upgraded from apache_1.3.0 to 1.3.1.  With 1.3.0 the directives
in my .htaccess file relating to user authentication and file expiration
were working perfectly.  With an identical server configuration for 1.3.1,
the very same .htaccess file that worked before is now being ignored.
For some reason, the .htaccess file is not being read when 1.3.1 enters the
directory in which .htaccess resides.

Relevant configuration highlights:
1)in srm.conf: AccessFileName .htaccess
               UserDir public_html

2)in access.conf where the document root configuration is established:
  AllowOverride AuthConfig

3)My .htaccess file (which resides in /home/bullock/public_html):
AuthName "Advising_Database"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /www/etc/apache/users
require valid-user
<Files index.html>
  ExpiresActive On
  ExpiresDefault A20
</Files>

4)The password file: /www/etc/apache/users  exists (and works fine with
  apache_1.3.0.)  I recreated this file using htpasswd that came with the
  1.3.1 distribution just to make sure it was compatible with 1.3.1.

5)There are no entries in apache's error log mentioning a problem
  with the server reading the .htaccess file.

The pages in /home/bullock/public_html are accessed just fine, but no
prompt appears for the user to enter a name and password.  I have searched
dejanews and have read the Apache bug reports but have not found any
information that would help me solve my problem.  Given that I have had
password authentication working ,via .htaccess, for several earlier versions
of Apache, I am at a loss to understand why I'm having so much difficulty
with apache_1.3.1 in this regard.
>How-To-Repeat:
??
>Fix: