www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: general/2714: Command line option '-?' doesn't work.
Date Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/2714; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com>
To: Maybe TABOO <y-koga@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/2714: Command line option '-?' doesn't work.
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 19:02:41 +0200

 On Tue, Jul 28, 1998, Maybe TABOO wrote:

 > > > Command line option '-?' doesn't work. If you run with '-?' option, error
message is printed.
 > > > Run httpd with '-?' option.
 > > > Following patch is for 1.3.1:
 > ...snip...
 > > Ops, there is a bug, yes. But be careful. According to getopt(3)
 > > on my FreeBSD box:
 > >
 > >  | [..] The getopt() function returns -1 when the argument list is exhausted,
 > >  | or `?' if a non-recognized option is encountered. [...]
 > >
 > > So, adding '?' is not correct, IMHO. Because then invalid options are no
 > > longer catched. Instead the correct fix seems to be to change the httpd.8
 >
 > Getopt() returns '?' after it prints error message such as
 > "progname: illegal option -- opt". So I think adding '?' is correct way.
 >
 > Check the file /usr/src/lib/libc/stdlib/getopt.c on your system.

 Correct, but at least the error message is nasty. And the behavior that
 getopt() really returns the "?" is not really portable I think, isn't it?
 When one wants the usage list one doesn't expect an error ;-) I've now already
 prepared a patch which tried to cleanup this option stuff. But nevertheless
 thanks for your report and inital patch.

                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com
                                        www.engelschall.com