www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: other/2695: Broken directory structure
Date Sat, 25 Jul 1998 13:00:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR other/2695; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com>
To: york@indipro.com
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: other/2695: Broken directory structure
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 14:52:55 +0200

 In article <19980724143259.10566.qmail@hyperreal.org> you wrote:

 > FreeBSD 2.2.5, but I assume its because of the configure script itself.
 > I was using that APACI thing.
 > My directory exists as /usr/local/etc/apache, I put in ./configure --prefix
 > =/usr/local --sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc/apache

 > (because httpd exists in /usr/local/sbin so the prefix is /usr/local and my
 > config files are in /usr/local/etc/apache. I also tried /usr/local and
 > /usr/local/etc as the sysconfdirs.) Unfortunately it tacked on /etc/apache
 > again to the end of the sysconfdir. When I use /usr/local it tacks on
 > NOTHING, and when I use /usr/local/etc it tacks on apache/apache.... ... It
 > got so bloody annoying that I finally just made
 > /usr/local/etc/apache/etc/apache and symlinked the conf files.
 >>How-To-Repeat:

 >>Fix:
 > Make sure nothing is appanded to the sysconfdir variable if there is a /
 > after it. Document that feature. Infact, that should be done for all
 > variables =}.
 >[...]

 Your report confused me a lot. A few statements:

 1. When you want to install your stuff under /usr/local but
    config files in /usr/local/etc/apache there is no need to specifiy
    --sysconfdir because for --prefix=/usr/local it already defaults to
    /usr/local/etc/apache.

 2. Even when I try your configure command with with the --layout
    option I see a correct path layout:

 | :> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc/apache --layout
 | Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.2-dev
 |
 | Installation paths:
 |                prefix: /usr/local
 |           exec_prefix: /usr/local
 |                bindir: /usr/local/bin
 |               sbindir: /usr/local/sbin
 |            libexecdir: /usr/local/libexec
 |                mandir: /usr/local/man
 |            sysconfdir: /usr/local/etc/apache
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 |               datadir: /usr/local/share/apache
 |            includedir: /usr/local/include/apache
 |         localstatedir: /usr/local/var/apache
 |            runtimedir: /usr/local/var/apache/run
 |            logfiledir: /usr/local/var/apache/log
 |         proxycachedir: /usr/local/var/apache/proxy
 |
 | Compilation paths:
 |            HTTPD_ROOT: /usr/local
 |            SUEXEC_BIN: /usr/local/sbin/suexec
 |       SHARED_CORE_DIR: /usr/local/libexec
 |        DEFAULT_PIDLOG: var/apache/run/httpd.pid
 |    DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD: var/apache/run/httpd.scoreboard
 |      DEFAULT_LOCKFILE: var/apache/run/httpd.lock
 |       DEFAULT_XFERLOG: var/apache/log/access_log
 |      DEFAULT_ERRORLOG: var/apache/log/error_log
 |     TYPES_CONFIG_FILE: etc/apache/mime.types
 |    SERVER_CONFIG_FILE: etc/apache/httpd.conf
 |    ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE: etc/apache/access.conf
 |  RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE: etc/apache/srm.conf

 And when I install the stuff this way it is installed correctly.  So, either
 there is something broken on your platform (what I do not expect because I use
 FreeBSD 2.2.x, too) or you confused yourself with the paths.

 Please try again and especially use the --layout option to check which final
 paths are calculated. Give some feedback if it still is broken for you or if
 it now works.

 Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com