www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Christian Hochhold <re...@n-s.net>
Subject os-freebsd/2697: VirtualHosting from a single IP won't work
Date Fri, 24 Jul 1998 13:51:09 GMT

>Number:         2697
>Category:       os-freebsd
>Synopsis:       VirtualHosting from a single IP won't work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The problem lies in that the <VirtualHost> command will cause
the main html pages to be ignored and the virtual host pages will be
the default html pages as well the the virtualhosts pages.
I.E.:
www.host.com == /usr/www/docs
www.virthost.com == /usr/www/docs/virthostname

<VirtualHost www.virthost.com>
ServerAdmin webguru@virthost.com
DocumentRoot /usr/www/docs/virthostname
ServerName www.virthost.com
ErrorLog /usr/www/logs/virthostname-error_log
TransferLog /usr/www/logs/virthostname-transfer_log
</VirtualHost>

SIGHUP httpd and connect to the Virtualhost url;
it will show the virtualhost homepage - the problem comes when
connecting to www.host.com; as the homepage for www.host.com
is the same as for www.virthost.com.

I have tried several different ways to fix this;
ie. point DocumentRoot in srm.conf to /usr/www/docs/hostname
and VirtualHost to /usr/www/docs/virthostname

This did not correct it, I have spent the better part of a day
trying to see what is going on.

ErrorLog doesn't show any problem.

Not changing the config files, but merely replacing httpd1.3.1 with
httpd1.2.4 instantly fixed my problem;

Using a browser
>How-To-Repeat:
Install 1.3.1
>Fix:
Don't use 1.3.1 or just a version such as 1.2.4