www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/2669: Files being served are loaded into memory then served
Date Thu, 23 Jul 1998 00:40:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/2669; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Josh Beck <josh@zcompany.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/2669: Files being served are loaded into memory then
 served
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 17:38:14 -0700 (PDT)

 On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Josh Beck wrote:

 > That makes sense... I didn't think of something like that since I assumed
 > that an OS wouldn't fill all available real memory with buffer cache
 > blocks.
 >
 > I'm not enough of a kernel/libc person to know that much about mmap... it
 > seems to me from what you say that it would be apache using mmap to send
 > the files. Or would it be part of the open syscall? I'd like to stop it
 > from doing that, if possible.

 Yes, Apache uses mmap().  If you want to disable it, remove the
 USE_MMAP_FILES define from the appropriate section of the include/conf.h
 file.

 However, if you think you want to stop it from using mmap() then you are
 probably wrong, especially on FreeBSD.  You will not magically gain the
 amount of memory listed by ps or top by stopping using mmap().