www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tim Hanson <tbhan...@startribune.com>
Subject os-aix/2662: apache works fine when started manually by root, but there are problems when it is started at boot time with /etc/inittab
Date Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:14:26 GMT

>Number:         2662
>Category:       os-aix
>Synopsis:       apache works fine when started manually by root, but there are problems
when it is started at boot time with /etc/inittab
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        1.3
>Environment:
aix 4.2.1 (root in / @ mpbgw-demo15) >uname -a
AIX mpbgw-demo15 2 4 000002197500

gcc
(root in / @ mpbgw-demo15) >gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.5.0/2.8.1/specs
gcc version 2.8.1

I recently installed apache 1.3 and am very happy with it. Previously I had been unable to
get cgi to work (though that may have been my own fault.)

After going through the .conf files somewhat carefully and referring to some of the docs on
your web site it went better this time.

However, yesterday I tried to make the step of putting an entry in /etc/inittab so apache
would start up automatically at system boot time.

Here's what I put in /etc/inittab:
apache:2:wait:/etc/rc.apache > /dev/console 2>&1 # start apache web server
I put this at the very bottom. Here's the rc.apache I created:
(root in /etc @ mpbgw-demo15) >cat rc.ap*
#!/usr/bin/ksh

/usr/local/apache/sbin/apachectl start

Apache starts on system reboot and serves static html just fine. However, cgi seems to time
out. If I stop and start apache (using the same line above but with stop/start), the problem
goes away. At the moment this is mostly an annoyance. I've thought of, but haven't tried yet,
creating a cron job that, say, runs at 6:00am each day; it checks to see if apache is running
and if not kicks it off (this would work for me.) But I imagine someone out there will want
to run on aix and would like apache to come up automatically on reboot.
>How-To-Repeat:
I hope it's easily repeatable. It has repeated for me several times with at least two different
browsers. I can't give you my URLs because they're inside a firewall.
>Fix:
I mentioned work-arounds above.