www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Richard Lloyd <...@connect.org.uk>
Subject general/2629: apachectl "fibs" about starting httpd
Date Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:40:15 GMT

>Number:         2629
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       apachectl "fibs" about starting httpd
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The installed sbin/apachectl script *always* says "httpd started", even if
Apache falls over and dies spectacularly as it initialises !
>How-To-Repeat:
Mis-configure your Apache to deliberately crash out during initialisation.
Run "apachectl start" and see the script say "httpd started", despite the
httpd having fallen over during initialisation.
>Fix:
Add extra checks after starting the httpd into the apachectl script.
For example, sleep a few seconds and then do the same check that you do
to see if it's already running again (i.e. look for the PIDFILE, do a ps -p
and so on) - that way you can truly report whether the httpd has properly
inited. I'd also recommend that on a start failure, you tell the user
to look in <apacheinstalltree>/var/log/error_log for the reason for the
failure.