www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <b...@microsoft.sucks.eu.org>
Subject Re: general/2600: Minor problems with NameVirtualHosts
Date Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/2600; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@microsoft.sucks.eu.org>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: general/2600: Minor problems with NameVirtualHosts
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:06:45 +0200 (CEST)

 On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

 > I can't reproduce this.  Are you _sure_ it isn't redirecting you to
 > /something/ ?

 You're right - guess I should have tried getting a pre-HTTP/1.1 client
 rather than telnetting into port 80 to simulate it.

 > > - UseCanonicalName On is ignored for NameVirtualHosts.
 >
 > What do you mean?  Are you setting UseCanonicalName off in your main
 > server config then setting it on in a vhost?  Please give an example
 > config along with what requests you are trying and what you expect.

 What I'm trying to do is this:

 NameVirtualHost 198.22.51.242
 <VirtualHost 198.22.51.242>
 ServerName www.startrek.eu.org
 ServerAlias www.startrek.eu.org startrek.eu.org
 ServerAlias www.startrek.eu.org tng.startrek.eu.org
 UseCanonicalName On
 </VirtualHost>

 I'm expecting it to use www.startrek.eu.org rather than the two other
 hostnames for it. (But the problem might be that there simply aren't
 ans self-referential URLs - I'm not yet very familiar with HTTP
 internals.)
 I've found out that
 <VirtualHost 198.22.51.242>
 ServerName startrek.eu.org
 RedirectMatch (.*) http://www.startrek.eu.org$1
 </VirtualHost>
 Is a better match for what I'm trying to do, anyway.

 LLaP
 bero

 --
 Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.
 ***