www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject general/2553: URL:s containing the character '÷' gets trucated (See also PR 800)
Date Mon, 06 Jul 1998 10:14:38 GMT

>Number:         2553
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       URL:s containing the character '÷' gets trucated (See also PR 800)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
This problem was reported earlier as PR 800 for Apache 1.2.x and was
'mysteriously' fixed in the 1.3-beta source tree. The problem did not exist
in 1.3b5 but reappeared in 1.3.0.

When a URL includes the character '÷', Apache truncates the URL at the position
where the '÷' character is, and tries to serve that URL to the client. Example:
  http://www.company.com/some÷file.htm
is trucated by Apache 1.3.0 to:
  http://www.company.com/some

Other international character like ň, ń, ┼, ─ and Í work just fine.
>How-To-Repeat:
Create a file named 'file÷.htm' and try to access from a web running
Apache 1.3.0. I'm sorry for not beeing able to supply a URL for this but our
webserver depends on files containing the character '÷'. Therefor I have now
downgraded to 1.3b5 as a work-around.
>Fix:
Something must have changed between 1.3b5 and 1.3.0 in the source.
I'm not qualified enough to guess where this change might be though.