www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Charles Levert <char...@comm.polymtl.ca>
Subject config/2548: apache and php3 both supply an strerror on a system without one
Date Fri, 03 Jul 1998 20:27:55 GMT

>Number:         2548
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       apache and php3 both supply an strerror on a system without one
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
On SunOS 4, a system without strerror in its provided libraries, both
apache-1.3.0 and php-3.0 supply a replacement function named strerror.
At link time for httpd, ld complains about a multiple definition and
aborts.

I won't venture to say if it is an apache or a php problem.  It's rather
a question of convention and synchronisation between the two projects.
(I will make a similar report to the other php project.)

I use php as a static module.  (There are worst problems on SunOS in
trying to use it as a shared module.  I mention this to avoid an "have
you tried this", but of course it is not an apache problem.)
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
3 possibilities:

. one or both projects define their replacement function with a prefix
  that is exclusive to them

. apache configuration detects that php3 is used as a static module
  and provides its own strerr, and so apache does not define
  NEED_STRERR, even when strerror is not provided by the os

. similarly, php does not provide a strerror if it detects that apache
  will provide one