www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tim Bendel <tben...@usatoday.com>
Subject config/2539: Not allowing symlinks in a <Location> directive.
Date Wed, 01 Jul 1998 20:51:04 GMT

>Number:         2539
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Not allowing symlinks in a <Location> directive.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
In my srm.conf I have the following line:

DocumentRoot /disk2/apache/htdocs
Alias /tt/ /disk2/tt/

In my access.conf I have the following lines:

<Directory />
Options None
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory /disk2/apache/htdocs>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

<Location ~ "^/tt">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
</Location>

The problem is this:  In my directory /disk2/tt I have two files, one of which is a symbolic
link to the other.
When I try to access the file, I get this error:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /tt/test2.html on this server

And my error log shows this:

[Wed Jul  1 16:39:47 1998] [error] Symbolic link not allowed: /disk2/tt/test2.html

The things that are odd:
1.  The symbolic links work fine in my document root, which uses the same "Options" line as
the /tt directory
2.  The indexing works fine in my /tt directory, so half of my "Options" command works.

If I comment out "AllowOverride None" in my / config, it all works fine, but then my server
is completely opened, and I would have to then restrict every directory.

>How-To-Repeat:
Set up as noted above.