www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: apache-api/2337: Modules are initialized twice at startup.
Date Tue, 02 Jun 1998 20:50:17 GMT
Martin Lichtin wrote:

> marc@hyperreal.org writes:
>  > Synopsis: Modules are initialized twice at startup.
>  >
>  > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
>  > State-Changed-By: marc
>  > State-Changed-When: Mon Jun  1 15:55:49 PDT 1998
>  > State-Changed-Why:
>  >
>  > Modules are supposed to be initialized twice, and they have
>  > been for a long time and will be for the forseeable future
>  > in the 1.x code.
>  >
>  > I suspect your confusion comes from some third-party patch
>  > you applied to your 1.2.x code that makes initialization only
>  > happen once.
>
> Right. It was added by the SSL patch. I'm surprised.

It is, indeed.

>  > Note that doing so can break some modules that
>  > rely on it happening twice.
>
> Unfortunately, I couldn't find documentation on that behaviour, it
> doesn't make sense to me to call the initializers twice, what's the
> reason?

The justification I was given, a long time ago, was that modules are
reinitialised on a server restart (i.e. SIGHUP or SIGUSR1) so they may
as well go wrong at startup if they can't deal with that. I believe that
that is just a rationalisation, though. The real reason is that it is
simpler to let it do it that way.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/recruit/