www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Phil Radden <pjcr...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite/2514: Internal RewriteMaps (eg. tolower) loop when given null input
Date Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_rewrite/2514; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Phil Radden <pjcr100@cam.ac.uk>
To: "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: mod_rewrite/2514: Internal RewriteMaps (eg. tolower) loop when given null input
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:52:31 +0100 (BST)

 On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
 > Seems not like a problem related to RewriteMaps. Instead your rules are
 > problematic. Your rules force a loop!
 >
 > You should either remove the redirect (i.e. translate to upper case only
 > internally) or use a better URL pattern for the RewriteRule which avoids the
 > redirect when the URL already is upper-case.

 Please forgive me if I'm misunderstanding this, but there is still an
 _internal_ loop with the null request.  Consider the two requests
 '/artichoke/HELLO' and '/artichoke/' - both of which would be loops as far
 as the browser is concerned.  The first results in a redirect to the same
 address.  However, the second results in a hanging request, no response sent
 to the browser, and a child process which sits in a tight loop consuming CPU
 until the parent httpd is TERMed.

 [OK, the rules don't make a great deal of sense on their own, but I actually
 hit this using similar rules in the midst of a big pile, moving a hierarchy
 from one location to another and rewriting every file and directory name en
 route.  Don't ask...!]

 Cheers