www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject general/2482: Missing environment variables on exec cgi
Date Mon, 29 Jun 1998 08:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/2482; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundberg@mdh.se>
To: apbugs@apache.org
Cc:  Subject: general/2482: Missing environment variables on exec cgi
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:16:53 +0200

 Hello again

 After some serious log-parsing and version-switching I have come to the
 following conclusion which, I belive, should close this bugreport.

 In 1.3b5 the environment variable REMOTE_HOST always exists. REMOTE_HOST
 would either contain a valid hostname or, if the dns-lookup failed, it
 would contain the ip-number instead. The ip-number can always be found in
 REMOTE_ADDR.

 In 1.3.0 REMOTE_HOST only exists if the dns-lookup was successful. The
 ip-number can always be found in REMOTE_ADDR.

 Since my cgi-program relied on REMOTE_HOST to exist and contain a value it
 failed to work properly after the upgrade from 1.3b5 to 1.3.0. I have
 rewritten my program and now it works fine with 1.3.0.

 Perhaps a note about this change in environment-variables could find it's
 way into the Apache-docs (http://www.apache.org/docs/upgrading_to_1_3.html).

 Here follows the environment-variables for a complete reference:

 1.3b5
 =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

 Client in DNS
 -------------
 SERVER_SOFTWARE =3D Apache/1.3b5
 REMOTE_ADDR =3D 130.238.208.99
 REMOTE_HOST =3D dlg.adm.mdh.se
 SCRIPT_NAME =3D /cgi-bin/printenv

 Client not in DNS
 -----------------
 SERVER_SOFTWARE =3D Apache/1.3b5
 REMOTE_ADDR =3D 130.238.208.99
 REMOTE_HOST =3D 130.238.208.99
 SCRIPT_NAME =3D /cgi-bin/printenv

 1.3.0
 =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

 Client in DNS
 -------------
 SERVER_SOFTWARE =3D Apache/1.3.0 (Unix)
 REMOTE_ADDR =3D 130.238.208.99
 REMOTE_HOST =3D dlg.adm.mdh.se
 SCRIPT_NAME =3D /cgi-bin/printenv
        =20
 Client not in DNS
 SERVER_SOFTWARE =3D Apache/1.3.0 (Unix)
 REMOTE_ADDR =3D 130.238.208.99
 SCRIPT_NAME =3D /cgi-bin/printenv

 Dennis Lundberg
 ICQ: 9841019, dennis.lundberg@mdh.se
 http://www.mdh.se/cgi-bin/person?Dennis+Lundberg
 tel: +46-(0)21-101516, fax: +46-(0)21-101544
 M=E4lardalens h=F6gskola, Box 883, 72123 V=E4ster=E5s, SWEDEN