www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Vincent Renardias <vinc...@debian.org>
Subject general/2510: Apache stalls after getting a few requests by Net_Vampire/2.4
Date Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:20:53 GMT

>Number:         2510
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache stalls after getting a few requests by Net_Vampire/2.4
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I run a medium sized webserver (~80.000 hits/day) with apache/1.3.0,
however it occasionnaly stops answering http queries and forks > 120 http
daemons, while I've set the max. forking limit to 20.
When this happens, the only way to get apache to serve http requests again
is too reload it.
After much hair pulling and logfile browsing, it appears that the problem
always shown up while someone was browsing pages with either
"Net_Vampire/2.4" or "Net_Vampire/2.41".

This morning, apache stopped answering queries again, and even after
retarting it, requests would stall after 3 minutes; I saw in the
access_log that s/o was currently using Net_Vampire on my site. Apache
started to work fine again only after I used a firewall rule to deny any
tcp access from the IP address of this Net Vampire user.
>How-To-Repeat:
Lower the values of MaxClients under 10 and hit the site with
Net_Vampire (or wait for s/o to do it :( )
It seems like any apache process having served a request to Net_Vampire
can't serve other requests anymore.
Also it seems (looking at the access_log) that most files got by
Net_Vampire are truncated at the length 32768 bytes.
(Please ask if you want me to send the relevant part of my access_log)
>Fix:
I've tried to add:
BrowserMatch Vampire nokeepalive
in my http.conf, but didn't change anything.