www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-windows/2484: Virtual host seems to fails under NT
Date Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/2484; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Jens Stavnstrup <js@ddre.dk>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: os-windows/2484: Virtual host seems to fails under NT
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:10:44 -0700 (PDT)

 On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Jens Stavnstrup wrote:

 > On 22 Jun 1998 marc@hyperreal.org wrote:
 >
 > > Synopsis: Virtual host seems to fails under NT
 > >
 > > First, what you give is not a valid VirtualHost directive.
 > > It needs to be "Virtualhost foo" where foo is an IP or
 > > hostname.
 > >
 > Well, I think the directive is VirtualHost (which I didn't write in my
 > mail)

 I don't understand what you are trying to say.

 > > Second, be sure to read the vhosts section of the docs
 > > very carefully to see how you need to use the default vhost;
 > > in reality, you have _two_ vhosts on your server; alias
 > > and testvhost, plus another if you want to use the
 > > real name.
 > >

 > If I understand you right, the main server will not catch any request, and
 > that I have to define another virtual host (alias.domain) located before
 > the testvhost.domain ?

 Read the docs.

 They say:

    Note: When you specify an IP address in a NameVirtualHost directive
    then requests to that IP address will only ever be served by matching
    <VirtualHost>s. The "main server" will never be served from the
    specified IP address.

 and:

    If the lookup fails (the IP address wasn't found) the request is
    served from the _default_ vhost if there is such a vhost for the port
    to which the client sent the request. If there is no matching
    _default_ vhost the request is served from the main_server.

 See http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/examples.html#default for examples.

 There is a reason the docs are there.