www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject general/2482: Missing environment variables when doing <!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/..." -->
Date Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:01:48 GMT

>Number:         2482
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Missing environment variables when doing <!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/..."
-->
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I've just tried to upgrade from 1.3b5 to 1.3.0 and experienced some problems.
I use an access-counter written in C. It is invoked using SSI with the line:
<!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/access" -->
It outputs "Content-type: text/html\n\n" like any well-written CGI-program.
However it does this *after* checking the REMOTE_HOST and DOCUMENT_URI
environment variables. This may not be so clever, but it revealed a bug in
apache. The access-counter, which has worked fine for years, started to throw
error 500 whenever it was run. After some debugging I found that none of the
above mentioned environment variables were present any more. After a downgrade
to 1.3b5 the problem diappeared.

This problem was reported earlier as PR2294 with a category of os-windows. That
bug report was closed and the bug was claimed to have been fixed before 1.3.0
was released. The problem is unfortunately still with us, at least on the unix
platform.
>How-To-Repeat:
I have downgraded to 1.3b5 so I can't give you a URL. But I think you should be
able to repeat the problem by creating a new HTML page that includes the line
<!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/printenv" -->
That is the printenv that comes with the apache distribution.
>Fix:
I imagine that you could get some ideas from looking at how PR2294 was solved.