www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Wm Brian McCane <bmcc...@maxbaud.net>
Subject general/2474: httpd failed to start
Date Sat, 20 Jun 1998 01:17:14 GMT

>Number:         2474
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       httpd failed to start
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When I tried to start httpd, I would get the following error:
[Wed Jun 17 05:06:14 1998] [emerg] (2)No such file or directory: Parent cannot o
pen lock file:

Then the program terminated.

I traced the problem to a boundary condition when creating the string for the name of the
lock file "/var/run/httpd.lock.18254".  Instead of creating the name, a 0 byte string was
returned.  This was a result of the ap_vformatter going past the end of the current vbuff.
>How-To-Repeat:
Not sure.  I modified my httpd.conf file to have a "recoverable" bug.  I gave a VirtualHost
2 copies of the same address.  This causes a log message which allocates a block in the pool
then everything is fine.
>Fix:
Check the return value form the expand_lock_fname to verify a valid string has been returned.
 Retry if it failed.