www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-hpux/2466: Placing logs directory in AFS causes children to be unkillable
Date Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:10:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-hpux/2466; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Nathan Neulinger <nneul@umr.edu>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: os-hpux/2466: Placing logs directory in AFS causes children to be unkillable
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 19:00:20 -0700 (PDT)

 On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Nathan Neulinger wrote:

 > On Thu, Jun 18, 1998 at 05:08:04PM -0000, marc@hyperreal.org wrote:
 > > Synopsis: Placing logs directory in AFS causes children to be unkillable
 > >
 > > State-Changed-From-To: open-analyzed
 > > State-Changed-By: marc
 > > State-Changed-When: Thu Jun 18 10:08:03 PDT 1998
 > > State-Changed-Why:
 > > Are you sure the problem isn't just having the lockfile
 > > on a AFS disk?
 > >
 > > If you use a LockFile directive to move it, does the
 > > problem still happen?
 >
 > That causes the problem to go away.
 >
 > Interesting. I haven't had any trouble with fcntl locks and AFS before...
 > Weird.

 If anyone ever tries to tell you they have any sort of distributed file
 system with flock or fcntl locking working properly over it, Apache is a
 good test tool to verify their claims.  <g>

 Solaris can't cut it with NFS.  It appears that AFS can't on whatever
 platform (I forget) you are using.  The search never ends.