www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Eric Pretty <evpre...@ibm.net>
Subject general/2456: Cannot upload binary file with HTML tag <INPUT TYPE=file>
Date Wed, 17 Jun 1998 07:42:41 GMT

>Number:         2456
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Cannot upload binary file with HTML tag <INPUT TYPE=file>
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When I use the HTML tag <INPUT TYPE=file> to upload an ASCII file,
the apache web server handles it correctly and I retrieve it with CGI_Lite.

But when I try to upload a binary file, it either retrieve only 600-800 bytes
if the file is not too big. Otherwise, it hangs.

I do not think it is a problem with CGI_Lite because if I do not use this module,
the web server still hangs when the file is too big. It is not clear what too big
is but it seems to be over 20K.
>How-To-Repeat:
Here is the HTML file

<HTML>
<BODY>
   <FORM ACTION="/cgi-bin/test_file_upload" ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" METHOD=POST>
   Select a file to send: <INPUT TYPE=file NAME=input_file>

   <INPUT TYPE=submit VALUE="Send file">
   </FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Here is the perl script to handle the form data

#!c:/perl/bin/perl.exe

use CGI_Lite;

$cgi=new CGI_Lite();
$cgi->set_directory("c:/temp");
$cgi->set_file_type("name");
%Data=$cgi->parse_form_data();

print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";
print "<HTML><BODY>$Data{'input_file'}\n<BR>";