www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Janne Snabb <sn...@epipe.fi>
Subject os-osf/2449: quotes missing from $CFG_LDFLAGS_SHLIB in apxs in OSF1
Date Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:51:53 GMT

>Number:         2449
>Category:       os-osf
>Synopsis:       quotes missing from $CFG_LDFLAGS_SHLIB in apxs in OSF1
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
There are quotes missing from $CFG_LDFLAGS_SHLIB variable in apxs perl
script. Currently the configuration systems sets it to:
	my $CFG_LDFLAGS_SHLIB = '-shared -expect_unresolved * -msym -s';
...but it should definitely be:
	my $CFG_LDFLAGS_SHLIB = '-shared -expect_unresolved \'*\' -msym -s';
...as the asterisk here isn't meant to be a shell filename glob. It should
be passed "as-is" to the ld command. OSF ld manual page also warns that
the wildcard characters afer "-expect_unresolved" need to be quoted from shell.
Apxs uses the perl system() function with a single string argument, which means
that the command is passed through the shell and expanded.
>How-To-Repeat:
/tmp/jserv0.9.11 $ /usr/local/apache/sbin/apxs -c mod_jserv.c
cc -DOSF1 -DSTATUS -DUSE_HSREGEX -DSHARED_MODULE -I/usr/local/apache/include  -c mod_jserv.c
ld -shared -expect_unresolved * -msym -s -o mod_jserv.so mod_jserv.o
ld:
Object file format error in: INSTALL: read_cur_obj_info: bad file magic number(0x6854)
apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=65536
/tmp/jserv0.9.11 $
>Fix:
I tried adding the quotes (and some backslashes in front of them) in the relevant
location in src/Configure, but no success. Probably because I don't know
Apache Configure system too well. As a temporary work-around I edited
/usr/local/apache/sbin/apxs script manually.