www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Joe Kupiszewski <...@packet.net>
Subject os-solaris/2430: Not enough file descriptors??
Date Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:17:11 GMT

>Number:         2430
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       Not enough file descriptors??
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I get upon compiling and trying to run Apache 1.3.0 is:

[Thu Jun 11 11:26:55 1998] [error] (24)Too many open files: unable to open a file descriptor
above 15, you may need to increase the number of descriptors

I know this is not a compilation "error" or sw-bug, but is directly related to Solaris.  In
previous version of Apache (currently still running 1.2.5) the only mods made to the Configuration
to get around this were:

EXTRA_CFLAGS= -O -DHIGH_SLACK_LINE=256

However, compiling with (or without) this on 1.3.0 still yields the above error (using my
current httpd.conf - one that works with 1.2.5) file, which may be the problem although the
description doesn't lead me that way.  I can get it up and running
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
The above attempt (adding EXTRA_CFLAGS= -O -DHIGH_SLACK_LINE=256) does not seem to change
the behavior.  I am more interested to know if anyone else is running 100+ virtual hosts using
1.3.0 and Solaris 2.5.1 (I did post to the newsgroup and have done a repost with a different
subject today in hopes of catching more info).