www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Don O'Neil <...@whtech.com>
Subject mod_proxy/2410: Proxy improperly re-directs virtual hosts.
Date Thu, 11 Jun 1998 05:12:44 GMT

>Number:         2410
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Proxy improperly re-directs virtual hosts.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        1.3
>Environment:
uname output:
FreeBSD gateway.whtech.com 2.2.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE #0: Sun Jan 11 11
:10:35 PST 1998     root@gateway.whtech.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GATEWAY  i386

No patches
GCC 2.7
Ok, this is a bizzare one... First let me explain my environment. I have an ISP that hosts
a domain for me (whtech.com) and I have an _internal_ (not accessable from the outside) server
that I use for testing. The internal server is test.whtech.com, the external one, www.whtech.com...
I have BIND running internally for DNS lookups, including both the internal and external servers
(both on different IP ranges, etc... the internal one is in private addressing). When I activate
the proxy service, and add it to my browser configuration, and go to test.whtech.com (the
internal server) everything works great, however, when I go to the external server (www.whtech.com)
I get re-directed to the ROOT web of my ISP, not my virtual host. My ISP is runnning Linux,
w/ apache 1.2.6. I have verified that this problem exists when using both IE4 and NS4. As
long as the proxy is not used, the external access is correct. Seems like maybe the proxy
is not sending the headers correctly because it thinks that www.whtech.com is local? Who knows.
We use the proxy service for blocking access to the general web during business hours to avoid
lax employees surfing rather than working. PLEASE ask any questions you need to get clarification,
I know this is a weird one. I don't know if this is duplicatable in earlier versions of apache,
I did not activate Proxy until this week when 1.3 came out and I have allready de-installed
1.26

Another problem noted is with the root web server... it doesn't seem to work unless it is
duplicated as a virtual site, when we used our old 1.2.6 config files on 1.3, it wouldn't
allow access to the root server, but rather went to the first virtual one instead (they're
all on the same IP). This is un-related to the proxy issue.

One other item... why can't I have soft or hard links in my path to my virtual server's root
directory? It worked in 1.2.6, but I got an error in 1.3, so I had to un-ravel the directory
path.
>How-To-Repeat:
Not sure you can unless you duplicate my setup. I'm happy to help you debug in any way I can.
>Fix:
Nope.