www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bertrand de Singly <bertrand.de-sin...@polytechnique.fr>
Subject config/2393: graceful restart fails when conf files contain mistakes
Date Tue, 09 Jun 1998 16:06:55 GMT

>Number:         2393
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       graceful restart fails when conf files contain mistakes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
if your webserver is running and you edit a conf file, inserting a mistake, then :
apachectl graceful cannot restart httpd but says it is restarted :(

www@ ~/http > restart [an alias for launching apachectl graceful]
/users/eleve/www/http/sbin/apachectl graceful: httpd gracefully restarted
and then
www@ ~/http > ps ux
USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      S    STARTED         TIME COMMAND
www      24613  0.4  0.4 2.23M 480K ttyp2    S    17:50:03     0:00.64 -tcsh (t

=> no httpd running afterwards
>How-To-Repeat:
insert a mistake in any conf file (for example change Options in Pptions)
then launch apachectl graceful
>Fix:
either launch "twice" apachectl graceful (the second time will say "httpd not running"
and try to launch it unsuccessfully) when the user requests it once
or launch "apachectl start" after "apachectl graceful" so that the user
knows where the error is (cf. my example)
or (better) make the graceful "verbose" to explain the mistake
or tell apachectl graceful not to restart when there is a mistake in a conf file
(so that the web server doesn't stop until the webadmin fixes the error)