www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: protocol/2385: microsoft proxy server and apache 1.3 don't seem to get along
Date Tue, 09 Jun 1998 06:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR protocol/2385; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: David Birnbaum <davidb@chelsea.net>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: protocol/2385: microsoft proxy server and apache 1.3 don't seem to get along
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 23:06:12 -0700 (PDT)

 Oh god.  Just what I want.  To help microsoft debug their protocol stack.
 Again.  Ok ok, I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt.  When they released
 MSIE 4.0 we only helped them find 4 gross bugs in their code which made it
 completely obvious that they'd never even considered testing against the
 world's most popular web server... in exchange we found one subtle bug in
 apache months later.

 On 8 Jun 1998, David Birnbaum wrote:

 > 1.  When the person tries to connect, first couple of connections (the
 > page and the first one or two gifs on the page) load immediately; after
 > that, each connection (page/GIF) loads at 15 second intervals, two or
 > three at a time.

 This sounds like their proxy doesn't correctly figure out that it's
 supposed to have a persistent connection going.

 > 3.  When a client is bringing up other sites (www.sun.com,
 > www.microsoft.com) WHILE we are talking to our site, they are slow.  As
 > soon as our page finishes coming in, things speed back up to normal.

 Sounds like their proxy has some interesting potential DoS attacks.  We'll
 ignore that for now.

 Ok.  Time to get down and dirty with tcpdump.  Suppose this is the setup:

     client <--net 1--> proxy <--net 2--> origin server

 Let's start with a tcpdump on net 2.  We may eventually want to look at
 net 1 -- but we won't do that unless we're totally boggled at what we
 see on net 2.

 The easiest way to do this is probably right on the origin server itself,
 since it's running Unix... right?  If you're Windows end-to-end then
 I'm not sure how to help ;)

 On the client, exit your browser.  And maybe restart the proxy if you can.
 I want to be sure there are no connections to the origin server.

 On the origin server do this:

     tcpdump -w /tmp/dump.out -s 1544 tcp port 80 and host proxy.addr.here

 Start that up.  Then start the client, and request a page.  Wait for the
 whole sequence to complete.  Then hit ^C on the tcpdump.

 Hopefully /tmp/dump.out isn't too large... if it's small, say under 40k
 then mail it to us.  Otherwise put it on a website somewhere and mail us
 the URL.

 Other data that we'll need:

 ip address of the origin server
 ip address of the proxy server