www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mike Perry <mlist...@icorp.net>
Subject general/2387: couldn't spawn child process
Date Tue, 09 Jun 1998 00:01:04 GMT

>Number:         2387
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       couldn't spawn child process
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
My OS/environment vars seem to be up to par, BUT I'm getting errors trying to
execute cgi-bin apps from ApacheSSL if x users/requests hit the server simultaneously.
also getting: "fork: Resource temporarily unavailable".

The OS, FH limits and all that seem to be properly set - ulimit=unlimited, etc.
Maybe some superficial advice on the startup shell script?  But not sure if
this is the problem.  I know AP-SSL is a slightly different monster, but running
1.26 on the same machine with no problems - just the SSL version dies sometimes
when trying to run cgi - intermittently.  Please advise.  Been changing various Max/min
spare/client settings to no avail.
>How-To-Repeat:
call cgi from AP-ssl with more network calls than matches the number of current
server processes - the number does not seem to expand.
>Fix:
Not sure - calling environment?  Bug in SSL patch?  Misconfiguration?  Trying
to find an answer....