www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: config/2380: IANA registered vnd mime types are conspicuously missing from default mime.types
Date Mon, 08 Jun 1998 18:40:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR config/2380; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Luis Navarro <ln@lunadesign.net>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: config/2380: IANA registered vnd mime types are conspicuously missing from default
mime.types
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:29:24 -0700 (PDT)

 On 8 Jun 1998, Luis Navarro wrote:

 > when consulting the iana registered mime types list
 > (ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types)
 > i found a bunch of vendor tree (vnd) subtypes that are pretty common
 > but that aren't in the standard mime.types file that ships with
 > apache 1.3.0.
 >
 > for example, there's no listing at all for m$ excel (which should be
 > application/vnd.ms-excel) and the listing for m$ powerpoint is listed as
 > application/powerpoint instead of the iana standard
 > application/vnd.ms-powerpoint type.
 >
 > unless i'm totally misunderstanding something here, it seems the
 > mime.types file is a little out of date.

 That is a listing of MIME types.  What the mime.types file is is a mapping
 between filename extensions and MIME types.  It really does little good to
 add zillions of types to it without having any extensions to use for them.

 We are perfectly willing to add more types (as long as the extension is
 clearly for that type, but the IANA list isn't of much help.

 It is worth considering changing ms-powerpoint to vnd.ms-powerpoint I
 guess, even if no one uses that.