www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Glenn Fleishman <gl...@glenns.org>
Subject Re: mod_log-any/2366: DNS lookup in logs reports host, first number in dotted quads
Date Sat, 06 Jun 1998 20:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_log-any/2366; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Glenn Fleishman <glenn@glenns.org>
To: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: mod_log-any/2366: DNS lookup in logs reports host, first
 number in dotted quads
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 13:09:09 -0800

 At 11:50 AM -0800 6/6/98, Dean Gaudet wrote:
 >Did you link against the bind libraries explicitly?  Sunos 4.x has some
 >very "interesting" ideas w.r.t. name lookup, DNS, and NIS/YP.  In
 >particular, things should work fine if you use the bind libraries
 >explicitly.  Or if you don't use NIS/YP.  Also take a peek in your
 >/etc/hosts to see if you've got all the entries listed with the FQDN
 >first.

 On the bind subject: I didn't do it explicitly, but apache is performing
 lookups in some cases, just not all. How do I link explicitly? In all the
 software I've compiled over the last four years, this hasn't been a problem
 with this OS (or I've been lucky).

 On the NIS/YP front: we use it, but barely. Just enough to avoid having to
 replace it, but not for any real purpose. It's set up to use DNS primarily.

 /etc/hosts: not sure why this affects externally looked-up FQDNs - can you
 explain? Does an FQDN in the /etc/hosts file force DNS involvement in
 resolver lookups? That seems odd.
 Glenn Fleishman, unsolicited pundit.  see my mug:  http://www.glenns.org
 freelance technical writer, perl hacker, Adobe Magazine columnist/editor
 co-author of Real World Scanning & Halftones, 2d edition http://rwsh.com
 technical director, Phinney-Bischoff Design House    http://www.pbdh.com
 director of operations, i/us Corporation             http://www.i-us.com
 chair, Web Marketing '98/D.C. http://www.thunderlizard.com/webmarketing/