www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Glenn Fleishman <gl...@glenns.org>
Subject mod_log-any/2366: DNS lookup in logs reports host, first number in dotted quads
Date Sat, 06 Jun 1998 19:15:10 GMT

>Number:         2366
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       DNS lookup in logs reports host, first number in dotted quads
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
This was reported in a previous bug report in a beta, but the resolution status is "feedback"
and the solution is non-optimal. With HostNameLookup set to yes, the log is often giving me
just the first number in a dotted quad or the hostname portion of a fully qualified domain
names. It's erratic: I sometimes get the FQDN in a subsequent hit. I'm running BIND 4.9.4
- updating to 8.x has been problematic under our OS configuration. This problem has not occurred
with Apache 1.1.x or 1.2.x at any time. If I regress to 1.2.x, logging of domain names returns
to normal.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Track down whether it's a DNS/BIND resolver problem or a problem in the log-any module and
either fix module or report that BIND 8.x is needed (or whatever is needed) to solve problem
if you want HostNameLookups set to yes. Thanks!