www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Curtis Wood <mail...@cyberis.net>
Subject mod_log-any/2352: The limited number of VIRTUAL DOMAINS...
Date Thu, 04 Jun 1998 22:01:21 GMT

>Number:         2352
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       The limited number of VIRTUAL DOMAINS...
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I'm sure you already know about the limited number of virtual domains avialiable to
Apache because of the method behind the logging... I'm not reporting a bug, just
how I've gotten around this delima...
@120+ Virtual domains in the configuration file...
>Fix:
  I'm assuming that the reasoning behind keeping the file descriptors open for each
and every log is for speed, not having to open and close the file each and every time
the given log has to be updated, seems logical. Although, the solution I've come up with
enables Apache to virtually have an unlimited number of virtual domains - limited only to

the maximum that will fit into memory, a far greater magnitude that what is
viable now. Plus, I believe (although I could be wrong) that it will speed up
the server(s) by elliminating any file IO - I don't know how to bench mark this
or I would have verified it...
  Basically, my solution goes back opening and closing the given logs as the time
arises, but then comes the speed factor, and possibly the runtime error of two or
more servers requiring access to the same log at the same time. The solution comes from
having an external application do all the logging and communicate with all the servers
via a message que. The need for the logger to keep up with all the servers at once is not

neccesary since the messages will just get "backed up" in the que - the logger
can take it's own sweet time to elliminate the que, and mean while the
servers are mearly writing to memory - inwhich you can't really speed up...
  Being the system administrator of a fairly large ISP is Salem, Oregon, I needed
to find away around this problem of a limited number of virtual domains. After
hacking apart the code for a day or so I came up with the "hacked" server, and
have been running it as our web server. Before we could only support upto 120
virtual domains, now we have 131 virtual domains - with only 5 file
descriptors open... Everything seems to working just fine...
  I really didn't know who to email about this, so I'm using this page. I hope
I'm not stepping on anyones toes or annoying someone for not using the propper
channels, I just figured that you might be interested in this since it elliminates
one of the limitiations of Apache - making it that much more supperior :) I do
have a patch for version 1.2.6, but it only has the TRANSFER and ERROR log's
addressed - it's not that big of a deal to modify the code, I just don't know
where and or what to check...