www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Martin Lichtin <lich...@olsen.ch>
Subject Re: apache-api/2337: Modules are initialized twice at startup.
Date Wed, 03 Jun 1998 11:34:40 GMT
Ben Laurie writes:
 > The justification I was given, a long time ago, was that modules are
 > reinitialised on a server restart (i.e. SIGHUP or SIGUSR1) so they may
 > as well go wrong at startup if they can't deal with that. I believe that
 > that is just a rationalisation, though. The real reason is that it is
 > simpler to let it do it that way.

Ok, but why then does the SSL patch subvert that behaviour? One
problem, for example, is that the FastCGI module expects to be called
twice at startup, but after the SSL patch, this is not true anymore so
it fails to initialize itself. It took me some time to figure that out.

In general, module initialization can be costly, so Apache shouldn't
initialize all its modules twice at startup, there's just no reason
for it, as far as I can see.