www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Thomas Balle <tho...@balle.dk>
Subject general/2333: Location headers from nph-*.cgi
Date Mon, 01 Jun 1998 14:22:35 GMT

>Number:         2333
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Location headers from nph-*.cgi
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have one web server running a bannernetwork, it is Apache 1.3b3 RH5.0 kernel 2.0.33 it sends
out the following:

Connected to bannerbyt.dk.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /nph-bb.cgi?num=1
HTTP/1.0 302
Cache-control: no-cache
Location: /bbp/4499.gif

</head>
Connection closed by foreign host.

But when I make the same request running Apache 1.3b7 it closes the connection before sending
the above output. The script runs correctly, I can verify that through an interactive shell,
so the output from the CGI scripts is indeed as under Apache 1.3b3

And when making the request it enters the logfile with a fine 200 so Apache does not think
it is in error.

When we developed the banner network we decided to go with nph- cgi's to control the caching
of banners. But when I read the FAQ it says that nph- more or less was of no importance in
1.3 only in 1.2, that was indeed not the case for 1.3b3 in the way we did it.

And now, well I can make the script run by changing the script to bb.cgi omitting the nph-
but if thats the solution for me, that means telling 4000 individuals to once again change
their html code.

So how do I make 1.3b7 behave like 1.3b3 ?
>How-To-Repeat:
http://www.bannerbyt.dk/nph-bb.cgi?num=1
http://www.bannerbyt.dk/test.cgi?num=1
http://195.41.48.61/nph-bb.cgi?num=1
http://195.41.48.61/bb.cgi?num=1

The above four are alle the EXACT same scripts. The two first are on 1.3b3 and the two last
ones are on 1.3b7
>Fix:
No. And it is not possible for us to change from one html tag to another, as we estimate a
loss of 10% of all members performing such an operation.