www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Chris Johnson <john...@isn.dac.neu.edu>
Subject Re: general/2262: logging of virtual host access confusing in access.log, errors.log
Date Thu, 21 May 1998 14:38:56 GMT
On 21 May 1998 coar@hyperreal.org wrote:

> Synopsis: logging of virtual host access confusing in access.log, errors.log
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
> State-Changed-By: coar
> State-Changed-When: Thu May 21 07:09:33 PDT 1998
> State-Changed-Why:
> For the access log, you can use a different log format
> to include the name of the virtual host involved; see
> the src/support/split-logfile script.  As for the error
> log.. can you give an example of an error message you
> find confusing in this way?

     I'm concerned about access_log.  The error_log seems to work.
I checked out src/support/split-logfile.  It takes access_log as STDIN.
It then assumes (?!) that the first field of each line is a virtual
host designation.  It then proceeds to split things up into files by
that name.  The first field in my access_log is an IP number not a
virtual host designation, at least not a ser er virtual host name.
I'm unclear as to how this is going to help tell the different between
log entries which reference the real host name root vs references
which access a server virtual host name that points to a directory
farther down the tree than the root.  They look the same in the log as
far as I can tell.  Maybe I'm just slow today.

Chris Johnson                  |Internet: johnson@isn.dac.neu.edu
Assistant Director, Systems    |Web:       http://www.dac.neu.edu/dac/c.johnson
Division of Academic Computing |Voice:    617.373.3300
Northeastern University, 39 RI |FAX:      617.373.8600
360 Huntington Ave.            |Life n, something from which nobody escapes
Boston, MA., U.S.A.  02115     |alive.  Me