www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: bug report handling
Date Thu, 28 May 1998 22:52:22 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Ken - I don't think a bug report should go immediately from "open"
> to "feedback" asking simply "is it still happening?".  There should
> be some minimal effort put in to see if the bug they are reporting
> is still occuring in the latest 1.2.x or 1.3.x; and if it's not
> there *then* ask the submitter to check again.  We can't just
> presume it's likely that the bug was fixed, unless you know of
> a specific commit which might have fixed it.  Of course if the
> bug is still there then it gets promoted to analyzed.

I didn't presume anything was fixed; I asked the submitters to verify
that it was still a problem and/or still concerned them.  We have
had PRs close after actions like this because the submitters
figured out it was their problem, fixed it, and didn't tell us.

I was only doing this to problems that haven't been touched in
months.  If we haven't touched it in more than two months, I think
it's reasonable to assume that we won't in the near future either.
So I think it's at least semi-reasonable to ask the submitter
(who's more familiar with the problem and more likely to be able
to say yea or nay quickly) to check it out.

Which do you prefer, a silence which shows no signs of ending,
or a no-op which at least lets the user know we haven't forgotten
the issue even if we haven't looked at it?

FWIW, this resulted in at least one closed problem to-day, which
made it worth my time - since that PR would have stayed open for
a few more months otherwise.

#ken	P-)}