www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: general/2245: Insure memory checker found errors
Date Tue, 26 May 1998 22:52:56 GMT
Dietz, Phil E. wrote:

> I'd be very surprised if it was a bug with Insure....it has found so many
> bugs in our code, it is worth paying through the nose for (10k plus 2k a
> year maint).

It may be expensive, and worth it, but I'm afraid that doesn't make it
infallible. The errors I pointed out are errors, and price doesn't
affect that. Be surprised, because they are bugs.

OK, to be a little fairer, IMO:

1. The first one - semctl(..RMID..) - is definite. Insure got it wrong.

2. The second should perhaps be declared as regmatch_t *pmatch, instead
of regmatch_t pmatch[], but Insure still diagnosed incorrectly.

3. The third is moot: we shouldn't allow it to overrun the buffer by
putting a too large number in for the buffer size, but on the other hand
the format string simply can't ever use anything like that much buffer.

Believe me, if Insure found a real bug with Apache we'd all be jumping
for joy and rushing to fix it. But the first simply isn't a bug and the
other two are cosmetic.

Cheers,

Ben.