www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "George Fleming" <flem...@princeton.edu>
Subject RE: os-windows/1327: Apache ignores htaccess files on Aliased directories that are network shares specified as UNCs
Date Thu, 28 May 1998 16:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-windows/1327; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "George Fleming" <fleming@princeton.edu>
To: <coar@apache.org>
Cc: <apbugs@apache.org>, <serge@princeton.edu>, "\"Cindy Meneghin\" <Cindy
Meneghin" <meneghin@princeton.edu>, "George Fleming" <fleming@princeton.edu>
Subject: RE: os-windows/1327: Apache ignores htaccess files on Aliased directories that are
network shares specified as UNCs
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 10:30:09 -0400

 -----Your Original Message (my response is below) -----
 From: coar@apache.org [mailto:coar@apache.org]
 Sent: Thursday, May 28, 1998 7:16 AM
 To: apache-bugdb@apache.org; coar@apache.org; fleming@Princeton.EDU
 Subject: Re: os-windows/1327: Apache ignores htaccess files on Aliased
 directories that are network shares specified as UNCs

 Synopsis: Apache ignores htaccess files on Aliased directories that are
 network shares specified as UNCs

 Comment-Added-By: coar
 Comment-Added-When: Thu May 28 04:15:38 PDT 1998
 Comment-Added:
 [This is a standard response.]
 This Apache problem report has not been updated recently.
 Please reply to this message if you have any additional
 information about this issue, or if you have answers to
 any questions that have been posed to you.  If there are
 no outstanding questions, please consider this a request
 to try to reproduce the problem with the latest software
 release, if one has been made since last contact.  If we
 don't hear from you, this report will be closed.
 -----
 My response:
 ------------

 Please consider PR 1327 still open under Apache 1.3b7 for Windows NT.
 The problem has not been resolved.

 Synopsis: Apache ignores htaccess files on Aliased directories that are
 network shares specified as UNCs

 I downloaded and tested the following version.

 http://www.apache.org/dist/apache_1_3b7_1.exe

 The exact same test environment was configured and the result was exactly
 the same.

 Htaccess files are not respected by Apache within UNC Aliased directories.

 Please read below for the full details of the test.
 Full text of PR number 1327:
 ----
 >Synopsis:       Apache ignores htaccess files on Aliased directories that
 are network shares specified as UNCs
 >Confidential:   no
 >Severity:       critical
 Problem:
 -------------
 Htaccess files are not respected by Apache in network shared directores
 that are aliased using a UNC.
 However if I set up an Alias to the same network share using a path
 specification to a mapped drive, the htaccess file is respected by Apache.
 The problem with using mapped drives is that you are limited by the number
 of available drive letters.

 For example,  here are several lines from my srm.conf file:
 -------
 # AccessFileName: The name of the file to look for in each directory
 # for access control information.

 AccessFileName htaccess

 # Aliases: Add here as many Aliases as you need (with no limit). The format
 is
 # Alias /fakename realname

 Alias /unctest/ //winscape/downloads/test/

 # The network share above (//winscape/downloads/) was mapped to the
 drive letter K
 Alias /maptest/ k:/test/
 #-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 .
 Within the directory, "test" (Aliased as both /unctest and /maptest), I have
 htaccess file.  The
 htaccess file contains the following:

 <limit GET>
 order deny,allow
 deny from all
 </limit>

 My access.conf file has no entries for either Aliased directory above.
 Therefore I expect the aliased directories to
 have "AllowOverride All" set by default.

 This htaccess file should cause a "403 Forbidden"
 response from the Apache server when I try to access the directory through
 both the
 /unctest/  and /maptest/  aliases.   When I open the  /maptest/ alias from
 my browser, I do receive the correct  "403 Forbidden" response from the
 Apache server.

 Unfortunately, this is not the case when I open the /unctest/ alias.  The
 Apache server returns a directory index.  I can view all
 files (including the htaccess file) even though the htaccess file should
 direct Apache to deny
 access to my browser.  Directory access permissions are not a problem here,
 because I can open and view the htaccess file
 access to it.

 I have over 120 Aliases to set up for network shares.  Therefore, using the
 mapped drive approach is not possible.
 >How-To-Repeat:
 The URL to the directory alias using path to a mapped drive is
 http://setter.princeton.edu:83/maptest/

 The URL to the directory alias using a UNC is
 http://setter.princeton.edu:83/unctest/

 Please do not forget to type in the trailing "/" on the URL.
 >Fix:
 >Audit-Trail:
 Category-Changed-From-To: mod_access-os-windows
 Category-Changed-By: dgaudet
 Category-Changed-When: Sat Feb 14 16:23:00 PST 1998

 State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
 State-Changed-By: ben
 State-Changed-When: Sat May  2 16:28:22 PDT 1998
 State-Changed-Why:
 UNC support has been extensively overhauled for 1.3b7, which
 may well fix your problem.