www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: os-irix/2002: unkillable httpd processes
Date Wed, 20 May 1998 22:20:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-irix/2002; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To: priebe@wral-tv.com, apbugs@apache.org
Cc:  Subject: Re: os-irix/2002: unkillable httpd processes
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 15:20:03 -0700

 At 09:49 AM 5/20/98 -0400, you wrote:
 >  Our documents are on an NFS volume, but the ServerRoot is on a local
 >  disk.

 Hmm, okay, that's usually been the cause of unkillable processes that we've
 seen.  To be fair, there /should/ be nothing that Apache can do to cause
 unkillable processes; that's clearly an operating system bug.  The best we
 can hope to do is avoid some legitimate sequence of events which leads to
 that situation; so to help you any further we'd need some better
 information as to what conditions cause these sporadic unkillable processes
 occur.

 Not to sound like I'm avoiding the issue, but isn't Irix up to 6.4 now, or
 at least 6.3?

 If you can't kill a process you probably can't ktrace it.  Can you see what
 state it was last in?  I'm not familiar with Irix's process debugging and
 management tools.

 	Brian

 pure chewing satisfaction                                  brian@apache.org
                                                         brian@hyperreal.org