www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From br...@hyperreal.org
Subject Re: mod_auth-any/1672: Authentication / .htaccess DoS attack
Date Wed, 20 May 1998 09:48:53 GMT

Synopsis: Authentication / .htaccess DoS attack

Comment-Added-By: brian
Comment-Added-When: Wed May 20 02:48:52 PDT 1998
Comment-Added:
A change to this has been committed to the 1.3b7-dev tree:

  *) When opening "configuration" files (like httpd.conf, htaccess
     and htpasswd), Apache will not allow them to be non-/dev/null
     device files. This closes a DoS hole. At the same time,
     we use ap_pfopen to open these files to handle timeouts.
     [Jim Jagielski, Martin Kraemer]

Could you pull down a snapshot of 1.3b7-dev and let us know
if this fixes your problem?  You can get snapshots at

http://dev.apache.org/from-cvs/

Thanks!  If this is good we'll possibly backport it to 1.2,
though we really want to focus on 1.3 as our main stable,
supported platform as soon as we can.