www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From br...@hyperreal.org
Subject Re: general/2203: logresolve doesn't find all domains
Date Wed, 20 May 1998 00:26:10 GMT

Synopsis: logresolve doesn't find all domains

State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
State-Changed-By: brian
State-Changed-When: Tue May 19 17:26:09 PDT 1998
State-Changed-Why:
An IP number may not be resolved into a hostname immediately;
DNS is a fairly fuzzy protocol, and what may at first be a
failure may eventually succeed.  Chances are, if you ran
logresolve the first time and then did the nslookup, and then
ran logresolve a second time, it would get that hit.  I believe
nslookup waits around for an answer longer, too.  The
downside is that because there is an internal cache in
logresolve, if the answer does come to the named cache a little
bit later logresolve won't see it because it won't ask
named a second time for an unresolved IP.

My suggestion would be, if resolving as many hostnames as
possible is your goal, that you run a logfile through
logresolve twice; maybe even separated by several hours to
try and deal with temporary errors.