www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Андрей Чернов <a...@nagual.pp.ru>
Subject Re: protocol/2107: Additional arguments for fixing PR#1464 ("Range: 0-" bug)
Date Wed, 06 May 1998 06:55:04 GMT
On Wed, May 06, 1998 at 04:44:02AM -0000, brian@hyperreal.org wrote:
> > 3) RFC 2068 eslecially points that the server MUST return 206 for ANY Range: request.
> Where?  That's not even possible - the resource might not even exist, so how
> can it return a 206 instead of a 404?  I'm not being facetious here.

Well, not ANY but ANY SUCCESSFUL, exact quote is:

If the server supports the Range header and the specified range or
ranges are appropriate for the entity:

o  The presence of a Range header in an unconditional GET modifies
   what is returned if the GET is otherwise successful. In other
   words, the response carries a status code of 206 (Partial
   Content) instead of 200 (OK).

As I read it - "the presence of a Range header" cause "the response
carries 206 instead of 200"

Andrey A. Chernov
MTH/SH/HE S-- W-- N+ PEC>+ D A a++ C G>+ QH+(++) 666+>++ Y

View raw message