www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ariel Sabiguero Yawelak <asabi...@fing.edu.uy>
Subject other/2141: After a restarting the network layer, the error_log file grows until the disk is full
Date Sun, 26 Apr 1998 18:45:31 GMT

>Number:         2141
>Category:       other
>Synopsis:       After a restarting the network layer, the error_log file grows until the
disk is full
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
> Well this "bug" is related to the way the "error_log" file is
> treated. I am working to develop a network application using JAVA and
> I decided to install a web server localy to my Windows95 computer. As
> I worked some years with apache under SunOS [45].x.x I thought It
> would be the same, and fortunately it was. It worked perfectly as a
> server, but I experienced some problems when changing network
> configuration "on the fly" either installing or removing pcmcia cards
> or going back an forth into "SUSPEND" mode on the notebook. After any
> of this things, the server stops respondig to browser queries and
> starts filling the disk with error messages on the error_log file.
> The problem is that it adds dozens of error lines or even hundreds
> per second and is able to fill all the hard disk after a while.
> > I just "tested" the error again before reporting it just by starting
> the server, asking for a page to see that it works. After that I
> closed the notebook and opened it (went back and forth into suspend
> mode) and after that, you just see the disk activity led blinking. It
> is working on the error_log, even if you don't see the file growing,
> looking at the number of bytes available.  You can also realize that
> the server stoped responding (reloading the page). Then you "kill"
> the server with a CTRL-C and then the error_log shows it's real size.
> In 5 minutes and 23 seconds it was able to write 457.158 lines like
> the one above summing a total of 34 MB on the disk.
>
> I am using Apache 1.3.b on windows 95 and I downloaded it
> pre-compiled from your ftp site a couple of weeks ago. I was not able
> to find this error documented and that's why I am asking. Hope I am
> not disturbing, thanks for your time and congratulations for this
> great server.
>
> Regards

> The line that is repeated is something like:
>
>   [<date>] [error] (10038)Unknown error: select: (listen)
>

> Ariel
>How-To-Repeat:
I use a Dell Latitude CP Notebook with the pre-installed Windows95 and nothing special.
I hope you can have the same problem :) Unfortunatelly I could not test with
other notebooks.
>Fix:
Adding some intelligence to the error handler, for example not repeating so
much errors and using a phrase like: "Last message repeated 400.000 times: bla bla bla"