www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/2117: The CIDR syntax support for allow and deny finds the '/' in comments.
Date Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/2117; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: "David J. MacKenzie" <djm@va.pubnix.com>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: general/2117: The CIDR syntax support for allow and deny finds the '/' in comments.
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:41:46 -0600 (MDT)

 On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, David J. MacKenzie wrote:

 > > Synopsis: The CIDR syntax support for allow and deny finds the '/' in comments.
 >
 > > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 > > State-Changed-By: dgaudet
 > > State-Changed-When: Wed Apr 22 11:46:07 PDT 1998
 > > State-Changed-Why:
 > > Comments aren't permitted on lines with directives; they must
 > > be on their own line.  It's always been that way.  No idea what
 > > your config does.
 >
 > That's fine, but in that case apache should print reasonable error
 > messages rejecting lines with trailing comments, not do undefined
 > things with them (such as silently accept them in some cases and
 > suddenly break upon a new release :-).  Checking correctness seems be
 > the apache approach to configuration file processing in other
 > respects.

 But the problem is that they aren't trailing comments; it just happens
 that you have specified that access should be allowed from a certain set
 of hostnames that you think should be a comment, but that Apache knows are
 just a list of space delimited hostnames.  We could special-case the '#'
 character or do more stringent checks for names that are valid in
 hostnames, but that can get to be a pain.