www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Richard Ruth <rr...@studio.disney.com>
Subject general/2108: server-status reports many more requests being processed than really exist
Date Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:40:06 GMT

>Number:         2108
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       server-status reports many more requests being processed than really exist
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
My Apache server-status page shows an ever growing number of
'requests currently being processed' however 'ps ax | grep httpd' only
shows the ten or so httpd processes that I would expect.  These
phantom requests slowly grow until I reset the Apache server
(kill -SIGHUP) or MaxClients is reached (I think).

Here is an example:

Current Time: Tue Apr 21 15:21:58 1998
Restart Time: Mon Apr 20 16:45:58 1998
Server uptime: 22 hours 36 minutes
Total accesses: 4135 - Total Traffic: 19.7 MB
CPU Usage: u6.91 s4.29 cu0 cs0 - 0.0138% CPU load
0.0508 requests/sec - 253 B/second - 4988 B/request
113 requests currently being processed, 9 idle servers

_WWWWWWWWWKWWKWWWRWWWWKKWWWKKWWWWWWWKWWKWKWWWKWWWKKWKWWKWWWKWWKK
KKKWWKKWWWKWWWKKWWKKWWKWWWWWWKWWWKKWWWWKWKWWWK_WWW_W______......

[rruth@phone /usr/local/apache/conf]$ ps ax | grep httpd
  660  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/apache/httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.con
 1429  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/apache/httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.con
 1430  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/apache/httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.con
... (6 more httpd lines)
 1929  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/apache/httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.con

Notes about this server and the problem:

- This server only receives about 5000 hits per day
- I have to kill -SIGHUP  about once per day to avoid having these
phantom requests hit the MaxClients limit of 150
- There is no pattern of requested web page type that causes the
phantom requests.  According to server-status I have seen the following
type of pages cause the phantom request;
   --  dynamic fast-cgi created page
   --  static html page
   --  static gif image
   --  server-status request
- The entire web page request that causes the phantom request is sent to
the requesting browser.  IE. the browser user does not notice any problem.
- Multiple types of browsers can cause this problem (NS and IE -- both current
and past versions)

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I don't know how to FIX this but my hopefully temporary work-around is
to kill -SIGHUP  before the number of 'phantom requests' reaches MaxClients