www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: mod_log-any/2073: pipelined connections are not logged correctly
Date Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:40:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_log-any/2073; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Cc:  Subject: Re: mod_log-any/2073: pipelined connections are not logged correctly
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:40:44 -0700 (PDT)

 Incidentally, I think this is more than just an issue for pipelined
 connections.  The solutions I have so far are somewhat expensive though.
 But this problem is part of a more general problem of how do we deal with
 logging MUX connections.

 Also Marc suggested a server a while back where each request would have a
 thread dedicated to it long enough to figure out what file needs to be
 served; and then that would be passed to a central thread which
 multiplexed all the files being served.  This model offers various
 performance advantages without adding complexity to the protocol code.
 But suffers from a similar problem as this logging issue.  When the
 initial request processing happens a bunch of memory is allocated, and
 little of that is required to actually serve a static file and log that
 you served it.

 So yeah, this is non-critical in 1.2/1.3 but something to think about in
 the future.

 Dean