www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Quinton Dolan...@fan.net.au>
Subject general/2058: Wildcard VirtualHost address generates a reverse dns error
Date Sat, 11 Apr 1998 17:09:43 GMT

>Number:         2058
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Wildcard VirtualHost address generates a reverse dns error
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When you specify a wildcard virtual host like <VirtualHost *:8080> the error:
'Failed to resolve server name for 0.0.0.0 (check DNS)' is reported, and the
hostname is set to 'bogus_host_without_reverse_dns:8080'

This is non critical, but is annoying as it isn't an error, INADDR_ANY isn't
supposed to resolve to anything useful. The hostname should really stay
as '*', but more importantly there shouldn't be an error.
>How-To-Repeat:
<VirtualHost *:8080>
</VirtualHost>
>Fix:
I have a simple patch I will paste below. If you have trouble with it, I can
mail it to you. There may be a better place for this check but this works for
me.

*** http_main.c Tue Feb 17 11:45:58 1998
--- http_main.c Sat Apr 11 03:20:40 1998
***************
*** 1597,1608 ****
                } else {
                    /* again, what can we do?  They didn't specify a
                        ServerName, and their DNS isn't working. -djg */
!                   if (s->addrs) {
                        fprintf(stderr, "Failed to resolve server name "
                            "for %s (check DNS)\n",
                            inet_ntoa(s->addrs->host_addr));
                    }
!                   s->server_hostname = "bogus_host_without_reverse_dns";
                }
            }
        }
--- 1597,1612 ----
                } else {
                    /* again, what can we do?  They didn't specify a
                        ServerName, and their DNS isn't working. -djg */
!                   if (s->addrs && (s->addrs->host_addr.s_addr != htonl(INADDR_AN
Y))) {
                        fprintf(stderr, "Failed to resolve server name "
                            "for %s (check DNS)\n",
                            inet_ntoa(s->addrs->host_addr));
                    }
!                   if (s->addrs && (s->addrs->host_addr.s_addr == htonl(INADDR_AN
Y))) {
!                     s->server_hostname = "*";
!                   } else {
!                     s->server_hostname = "bogus_host_without_reverse_dns";
                }
            }
        }

%0