www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Peter Whiting <pwhit...@sprint.net>
Subject mod_proxy/2053: suggested change to proxy module - code is available
Date Thu, 09 Apr 1998 19:31:34 GMT

>Number:         2053
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       suggested change to proxy module - code is available
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
My young son accidentally found an "adult" site on the internet a few days ago.
I was interested in finding a good surfwatch type program for unix that I could
use to block offensive sites.  I couldn't find anything for unix, so I modified
the proxy module to add a new config option "ContentBlock" which, when configured
with a regular expression, will check the content of all text/http buffers
before passing them to the proxy client.  If they match the regexp then the
proxy session halts the transfer.  As most adult sites have a long list of
"content" on the first page - they want the search engines to index them -
a relatively trivial regexp seems to stop most of the content that is not
appropriate for children.  The mod was quite simple and I tried to follow
the apache coding style - used pools and the pool-based regexp utils.  I realize
some might be offended that I am filtering content and cry "censorship" but it
is configurable.  If you want the module modifications I can provide them.
It is a total of about 20 lines of code.